Thanks Rory,

I did go through (as per the manual)and set the permissions

shell> groupadd mysql
shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
shell> cd /usr/local
shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
shell> ln -s full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
shell> cd mysql
shell> scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
shell> chown -R root .
shell> chown -R mysql data
shell> chgrp -R mysql .
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

As well, afterward I checked the permissions on the directories and the data
directory seems to have the right permissions. i.e. 'mysql' owns the data
directory. Checking the 'bin' directory, all the files are group 'mysql' and
all have 'rx' for group. This seems to make sense to me.

Cheers

Cam