Keith:

I don't know if it's the same problem, but I recently had issues where I had a similar setup with only two MySQL servers, one 4.0.20, the other 4.1.3, same usernames/passwords on each.

My solution, and I don't remember where in the manual I saw this (possibly the FAQ), was to do an update to the 4.1.3 mysql user table:
UPDATE user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD( Password ) WHERE ... <fill in with username/host/whatever>

I believe this was because I was trying to connect to MySQL 4.1.x with a 4.0.x client. I don't know if that's your case as well.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

Wes