aspsa wrote:
Per the MySQL documentation I used the following commands to establish login
both at the local host and remotely.

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'%' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

Here, you set the password for the anonymous users, ''@localhost and ''@%. (You are probably better off deleting the anonymous user, by the way.)

When I attempt the following locally from the Command Prompt (with Win2K,
SP4 administrator privileges),

mysql -u root -p

And here, you try to log in as [EMAIL PROTECTED] See the problem? [EMAIL PROTECTED] is not ''@localhost.

, I am prompted for the password. Yet, when I enter the password set above,
I receive the following error message.

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't have a password yet. You need to

  mysqladmin -u root password "newpwd"

where "newpwd" is the password you want for root.

After setting the password for [EMAIL PROTECTED], you can connect with

  mysql -u root -p

I'd suggest that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a bad idea, so I'd

  DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE user='root' AND host='%';
  FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

but if you want it, you should definitely set a password for it as well.
In that case,

  SET PASSWORD FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] = PASSWORD('newpwd');

Argh... your help is appreciated.

Respectfully,

ASP

Michael