adp,
There are quite a few people with a similar problem with Free BSD. I don't know if they found a solution but here is a place to start looking:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=freebsd+mysql+heavy+cpu&btnG=Search

Mike

At 01:58 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
I have several MySQL and FreeBSD installs across a few different sites, and
I consistently have problems with mysqld. It will begin to eat up all of the
CPU and eventually become unresponsive (or the machine will just burn). I
can't seem to manually reproduce this, but given enough time a FreeBSD box
with mysqld will go down.

Our servers are generally heavily loaded.

I would say that I'm doing something wrong (although what I could be doing
wrong I'm not sure), but I recently began working with another company that
has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. They are even thinking of moving to PostgreSQL,
but we are trying to fix mysqld instead for now.

This behavior has been seen on:

FreeBSD 4.4, 4.7, 4.9, 4.10
MySQL 3.x and 4.x
Typical load: 50 qps
With and without replication enabled.
Some sites are SELECT heavy, some are INSERT heavy.

For one site I think we will be moving from FreeBSD to Linux for the MySQL
servers since MySQL seems to run like a champ on Linux. We will continue to
use FreeBSD for everything else.

Anyone experienced this problem? Is it mysqld or FreeBSD? I can't pinpoint
the exact issue.