I just discovered that two of my tables (out of about 300)
show a very unusual behavior.  This is that "select count(*) ..."
and selecting all the rows and counting them do not produce
the same number.

This is on MySQL 4.1.3 on Solaris9.  Look at this:

$ mysql -e "select count(*) from pstat.plist"
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|    15315 |
+----------+
$ mysql -e "select * from pstat.plist" | wc -l
   15372

Actually, these counts shouldn't quite be the same.  The second
produces a header line that's getting counted, so it should be
one more than the count(*).  But, it's off by 57!  The other bad
table is off by 3.

My tables are all InnoDB.  The other 300 or so tables produce
counts that are correct.  These tables are all replicated from
a 4.0.17 server.  On that server all counts are correct and this
is not an issue.

This server has never crashed, had any replication problems
from the master, or had any hardware glitches that I've learned
about, so I see no reason to believe that a corruption
should've occurred at any time.  There are no errors in the
mysql .err log.  Stopping and restarting the server had no effect.
I will probably dump and reload the two tables later to see if that
corrects it, but no time for that now.

-keith