Somewhere about Sun, 01-Aug-2004 at 11:31AM -0400 (give or take), Michael Stassen
wrote:

|> Patrick Connolly wrote:

[...]

|> > Looks to me the mysql user should have no trouble with it:
|> >
|> > -rw-rw-r--    1 pat      pat           332 Jun 28 20:42 Orders.txt
|>
|> Every piece of the path to this file must be executable by mysql, as well.

I think that's the main problem I have.  Since it's in a directory
beginning with /home/ and that directory is rwx------, one would have
to change that far back.  Since this machine is not used by anyone
else, perhaps it would not be a problem changing that.  Is that what
people normally do?  Anything else I can think of seems incredibly
complicated.

|> > Think we can count that one out as the problem since LOCAL which would
|> > have the same requirement does work.
|>
|> The FILE privilege is not required with LOCAL.  It is required without
|> LOCAL, and for SELECT INTO OUTFILE.  My bet would be that you don't have the
|> FILE privilege.  You can check with

Good guess.  That was part of the problem (though I'd not have guessed
from the error message).  I forgot that GRANT ALL does not include
FILE.

[...]

|> How LOAD DATA LOCAL works was changed in 3.23.49 and 4.0.2.  This
|> is documented here
|> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/LOAD_DATA_LOCAL.html>.

I had read that, but I'd not made the connexion with the error message.

Thanks again.

best

--
   ___     Patrick Connolly