Pete Harlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> No. I've forgot to tell that the -Max binary is linked dynamically
>> because it uses SSL.
>
> Is there a reason the SSL libraries can't also be linked statically?

There was some reasons. Afair, MySQL is not the only software which could not
be statically linked with OpenSSL. Licensing issues or technical - I don't
remember.

> Do you recommend against running the -Max binary, because it doesn't
> use your customized library fixes?

On Linux, yes - because of the glibc.

> The section of your manual describing what some of the glibc problems
> are is helpful; do you know if the linuxthreads-2.2.2 patch made it
> into glibc at some point?  It's for 2.2.2, while we're running 2.2.5
> (on Debian Stable) and 2.3.2 (on Debian Testing).

No, thread stack size is still too big in latest 2.2.x glibc branch. :(
It's not clear what's about thread stack size in glibc 2.3.x.

> We're moving to 64-bit soon, primarily to be able to run MySQL with
> more RAM.

You can compile and replace the system glibc by yourself. I did so and it's
safe in terms of thread stack size. But it's not the easiest task and you
should be very careful doing this, because it's a main library in the OS. Also
you have to take your Linux's vendor glibc source package and apply all his
patches to your customized glibc to ensure that replacing will not break
something else.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com