Hello:

  I posted this before but I have not gotten a response.  I have a Debian
(woody) server running a good sized database (7.2GB of db files), Mysql
4.0.18.  I am running Apache 1.3.29 + perl and using mysql as the
backend.  In my.cnf, I have max_connections=300.

Here's the problem.  I had the site up several days, with everything
running perfectly.  Ordinarily there would be about 11 mysql processes
running.  However, after a few days of running smoothly, the number of
mysql processes increases to over 170, and the site crashes.  Formerly I'd
get errors like

DBI connect('yada yada, ...) failed: Too many connections at DB.pm line 25

However once I set max_connections to 300 (default is 90), mysql will
still accept connections, but it is still way too slow to be usable, so
the website becomes unreachable.

I've read on this list that people running MySQL w/ FreeBSD can have
similar sounding problems.  I am wondering if there is a connection.

I know that the site is getting virtually no traffic, so the problem is
not that it is being overloaded.  I have tried this scenario at least a
dozen times, and the same thing always happens.

Ryan