>   dear rhino and whil
>   thanks for that valuable tip.
>   but, dont i have to wory about the repeating id's (are they not
> redundant...) in this table, excuse me if this query looks silly...
>
>   PLANT_MOLECULE
>   plant_id    molecule_id    quantity
>   ---------    --------------    --------
>   1             A                    3.0E12
>   1             D                    4.7E09
>   2             D                    2.1E05
>   2             B                    9.8E22
>   2             C                    0.8E08
>   3             E                    0.1E31
>   3             D                    6.2E03

Well, yes, you do have to make sure that you don't have more than one row with
the same plant_id/mol_id combination. IOW, you _don't_ want two rows that
both have

>   plant_id    molecule_id
>   1             A
>   1             A

because then you'd get twice the number of plants/molecules as you wanted.

--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com