Did your client side host change?  The user/pass are sometimes setup to
only allow access from a specific host subnet or single ip address.

John A. McCaskey

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Zhong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 1:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: can't log in mysql server

Hello everyone,

I met a strange problem.
I can't log in mysql server using my password
suddently.
I check the modified date of user.MYD & user.MYI in
/usr/local/mysql/data/mysql/ folder. Both of them were not modified
recently. That means I didn't change the password for mysql server.

Did anyone meet the same problem before? Does anyone
know how to deal with it? Thank you very much.

I still tried to reset the password following the
mysql manual:

> mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &
or
> safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &

But it gave me the following errors in the
localhost.err:

040802 16:08:02  mysqld started
Warning: One can only use the --user switch if running
as root
040802 16:08:03  InnoDB: Started
040802 16:08:03  /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Can't create/write to file
'/usr/local/mysql/data/localhost.pid' (Errcode: 13)
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.18-debug-debug'  socket:
'/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306

And, when I tried to connect to the mysql server:
> mysql -u root

and update the password, use:
> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('newpwd')
->                   WHERE User='root';

I got the following error:

ERROR 1017: Can't find file: './mysql/user.frm'
(errno: 13)

Does anyone have any idea about this?

I really appreciate your help and looking forward to
your reply.

Jean