First thing I'd do is copy all of the database/table files to a safe location. Burn them to CD, upload them to a file server, etc. It's the data that's the paramount concern... not the database software.

Once you are certain that your data has been backed-up appropriately, uninstall all mysql software. Make sure that all the config files, dirs and any other MySQL info is removed... don't leave anything lying around.

Finally, reinstall the RH binaries and test things out before reloading your data...if that doesn't work, get the official binaries from MySQL.com

1. Don't panic.
2. Back up your data.
3. Uninstall the troublesome version of MySQL.
4. Replace it with a good, working version.
5. Reload you data.

Mahesh S wrote:
hi all, i'm using MySql 3.23.54a-11 that comes with RH Linux 9 distro. the daemon starts properly, but the very next moment it's in the dead state. in the services list, a message reads like ...............................
"sqld dead, but subsys locked"
after this, i can neither stop the sql server nor restart it. all my projects are lagging back just becaue of this. plz let me know the reason for this and a way to get rid of this problem, i have even tried re-installing the entire database server, but no use!!!! plz. help me.
regards mahesh

Brad Tilley
VT Athletics
Coordinator of Computer Services