We were having terrible problems with a master/slave setup. The master does a huge amount of writes, and the slave simply started lagging behind, despite both machines being identical hardware-wise. This made the application basically unusable because eventually the slave was hours behind the master, and had no chance of ever catching up. I disabled InnoDB on the slave (skip-innodb in the my.cnf file) and now it has caught up and is keeping up fine.

The weird thing is it worked fine with InnoDB enabled for many weeks.

Also even after we re-converted all the slave's Inno tables back to MyISAM it *still* lagged out. Only after I disabled the Inno engine entirely did the problem abate.

Any ideas why? Does InnoDB use resources even if there are no active tables using the engine?

-jsd-