> For certain columns i am completely sold on not using nulls, for others, i
> cant see any conceptual reason to favor either way, so i thought i'd tap
> you all for some insight.

A NULL is the equivalent of saying "I don't know" whereas a 0 means the value
between -1 and 1 and a blank means 'no value'. For example... suppose you're
recording temperatures at various locations.

Atlanta   <blank>
Boston       0
Chicago   null

It pretty clear that the temperature in Boston is 0, which is not the same as
being empty.

The difference between null and blank is a bit more subtle. null means that
you don't know what the value is - if the folks in Chicago say that their
thermometer is broken, they have reported their results, but their results
are "we have no idea how cold it is here". You use a blank in Atlanta until
you hear from them, at which time you either have a temperature (an actual
number), or you have another "We have no idea how cold it is outside because
our thermometer is broken too." which means null again.

Does that help?

--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com