He does have a join. He has an *implied* INNER JOIN
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/JOIN.html):

FROM pages, pdflog

What he is really missing is the WHERE clause that matches something from
pages with something from pdflog....    Without it he is requesting a
Cartesian product of his tables (every combination of each row from both
tables).

I prefer to define my JOINS *explicitly*. It makes it harder to
accidentally define Cartesian products):

SELECT DISTINCT company
FROM pages
INNER JOIN pdflog
ON ...some condition goes here ....
ORDER BY company

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Martijn Tonies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/09/2004 11:38:31 AM:

> Hi,
>
> > God, I feel real stupid this morning and know I should know this. I
have
> > 2 tables in the same database and I'm trying to select distinct data
from
> > a row with the same name in each table.
> >
> > SELECT DISTINCT company FROM pages, pdflog ORDER BY company ASC
> >
> > I'm missing something I'm sure because it doesn't work.
>
> Feel stupid again ;-)
>
> Where's your JOIN?
>
> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL & MS
SQL