There must be an even number of replicas because the cluster mirrors
data between two machines.  It doesn't do "three way" mirroring.  An
even number of nodes are required because each two data nodes becomes
a node group.

If you have three machines, you could create two NDB processes on each
machine each each using some of the memory you want to dedicate to
NDB, though this adds some additional overhead in the allocation of
operation records and what not.

Just make sure you don't mirror data to the same machine.  I (think)
they are mirrored in the order they occur so do something like the
following (collapsed from standard INI format for brevity)

datamemory 33M, indexmemory 17M
MGM id 1, machine 1
DB id 2, machine 1
DB id 3, machine 2
DB id 4, machine 3
DB id 5, machine 1
DB id 6, machine 2
DB id 7, machine 3
API id 8, machine 1
API id 9, machine 2
API id 10, machine 3

I haven't actually tested that configuration, so your milage may vary.
 If you do test it, then let me know how well it works for you.