I didn't get a response to the question below, and my alternative solution produced another error message as follows. Rather than try to establish a new database, I used the Test database established when I reinstalled mysql. With a csv file saved under mysql/data/test, I did a load data command exactly as I have done many times before and got

ERROR 1045 Access denied for user: '@localhost' (Using password: NO)

I was able to create the table and successfully issue the commands SHOW TABLES and DESCRIBE TABLENAME As below mysql is installed on a pc running Windows 98.

Ken

*********
Original Question:

I have mysql installed on a pc running Windows 98. I recently had to reformat a partitioned c drive. My tables were stored in a database called samp_db. When I give the command "use samp_db" I get Error 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'samp_db' When I give the command create database samp_db I get the same error message, and I get the same when I try to create a database with another name. How do I create the database (and what is this
error)? Can I get the tables back under samp_db (I saved all mysql files to the d drive)? Thanks in advance.