Thanks so much for the reply! So, if I understand correctly, to swap
the table like I described, I should do:

LOCK TABLES A write,A2 write;
FLUSH TABLES;
rename table A to A1;
rename table A2 to A;
UNLOCK TABLES;

Right? If there is no write to either A or A2, then there is no need
to lock the table, right?

Thanks!