Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
Most of audio information with ATSC is not in the stream that ffmpeg sees. Even the limited audio descriptor sometimes present in the PMT is jettisoned with the PMT rewriting. I don't think ffmpeg even tries to look at this information, but we don't save it in the recording to begin with.

Yes, that's true, though if needed we could preserve the audio information from PMT while rewriting. The good news is that it *is* still present in the AC3 stream itself. The only use for preserving this data in PMT would be for non-AC3 streams (from DVB maybe?)

-Doug