On Saturday 12 Mar 2005 00:27, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 March 2005 15:25, andrew burke wrote:
> > > I've since moved the cable box to another machine, which has a PCI
> > > FireWire card, and all is well again.
> >
> > This is plugged into a shuttle XPC machine's onboard firewire.  I would
> > not be surprised if that was part of the problem.
> >
> > That machine is pretty loud, so we had been considering switching to
> > something quieter, like one of the Eden-based boxes with no fans.
> >
> > Has anyone tried mythtv with these boxes?
>
> Quite a few people are using assorted EPIA boxes, but I'm assuming you're
> asking about the new ones with the Unichrome Pro CN400 graphics chips. Not
> sure how many folks have used those.

Indeed CN400 support is in its infancy... however, I managed to get MPEG2
accel working on friday... even ran MythTV for a while, although the OSD
doesn't work yet and the video stuttered a bit in mythtv, but worked fine in
MPlayer.

> > Are they capable of handling the encoding/decoding?
>
> Of? HDTV recording requires no encoding, you're just writing mpeg2 to disk.
>
> > Ideally it would be capable of handling HDTV.
>
> I don't think anyone has tried decoding HDTV with one of the new EPIAs
> w/the CN400 chipset. It'd definitely have to be done in hardware, there's
> nowhere near enough cpu there.

Tried 1920x1080 HDTV, but it ran at 85% CPU and wrapped around the screen.

--
Ivor
http://www.ivor.it