Jeremiah Morris wrote:
On 2 Apr 2005, at 12:22 PM, David Engel wrote:

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:59:56PM -0500, Catherine Seppanen wrote:

Attached is a (very small) patch that automatically deletes the
recording schedule for items using "Record only this showing" after the
item has recorded successfully.

kSingleRecords are deleted when mythfilldatabase runs the next day.

Why should the delete be so arbitrary? A movie that finishes at 10 AM have its schedule hang around for most of a day, but a movie that finishes at 3 AM will have its schedule deleted almost immediately. It makes no sense at all to me that the two would be related.

Let's all take a deep breath and relax. This is no big deal. There are reason for an keeping them and letting then go but life will go on either way :)

Some of the reasons for keeping then that I can recall (whether or
not they panned out) If a recording was stopped and you wanted to
start it again, the rule should not have been removed when it was
stopped. You should be able to go to the EPG and see the status of
recordings that have already finished. If a Single failed to record
because the listings changed, it would hang around for a day or two
as a possible reminder to go looking for another showing (pre-dates
FindOne). You may want to reactivate a Single with additional end-
offset after the scheduled end (sports going into more overtime than
anticipated).

The only down side I see is that they appear on the Set Priorities
page. You can remove them manually, or it will be gone then next day
anyway.

They are left in the database because they are needed to support
reactivating a recording.

As I read it, the patch only runs when the recording completes successfully, so it's entirely in the past. How would you reactivate a recording when the show has aired and gone? This is only for

Stop Recording then Reactivate.

kSingleRecord, "record at this specific time", and the time has passed. I don't see what benefit there is to leaving it after a successful record, especially when it gets deleted anyway after an arbitrary period of time.

kFindOnes are deleted immediately because that's how they were
designed.  However, now that bjm has added recordid to the oldrecorded
table, they could probably be deleted in mythfilldatabase too.

I'm actually working on fixing Find* types with search rules that match more than one title where determining if something should be marked as Previously recorded is tricky. However, this could lead to dealing with FindOne and Reactivate.

Yuck.

Chill.

Tying a straightforward delete to a seemingly unrelated process is

If a Single is set then the listings change so the it no longer matches, the rule would be left in the record table forever. Mfdb must clean up day-old Singles and Overrides no matter what. Leaving things for the advantages (especially reactivate) and knowing they will get cleared up is no big deal, really.

--  bjm