here is what I hope is the last cut of this patch.
works seek exact for both avi and mpeg files (the ones I have anyway)
to overcome the keyframe seek issue with mpeg which doesnt support it inside avf I have set it to seek behind by maxkeyframedist and then use myth getframe gobble to nudge things forward.
avi does this intrinsically.
the stream dts/frame number was not previously adjusted for my dts wraparound fix and this now happens. fixed a few of my problems.
I have removed all of the guff now so I think its cvsable now. I have left some instrumentation in avf utils.c in estimate timing.
I have also removed all of the estimation code previously there due to previous inadequate support for length determination.
it still generates the myth native gop list for use in mythcommflag --video.

Does anyone want a setup checkbox to disable this mode?

can that person who had the problems with plextor?? please test again. I suspect a start adjust issue was the prob previously. if not could you make a recording available (short of course :-)

hopefully I wont have to revisit this. =)
cheers
mark