Peter Lee wrote:

I would personally never use such a mode, but I know that others in my
household would.

Nor would any of the developers.  It's a PVR, that implies buffering.

Why do I think this is a reasonable approach?  First, I don't think
live TV is all that useful, and thus it wouldn't be used by seasoned
PVR users.  Live TV is for channel-surfers, and channel-surfers
probably have less of an expectation of PVR functionality.

We've had a PVR since the first Tivos hit the shelves we still use live tv. We don't *want* to record everything. Sometimes we like to sit down and discover something new. When I'm using my Myth box I expect it to perform at LEAST as well as my Tivo did years ago. What you're proposing is a HUGE step back in functionality. One of the major features of a PVR is the ability to rewind live tv.