Bjørn Konestabo wrote:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Unfortunately I haven't had much progress. I recently tried swapping the FX5200 for the 6800GT I have in my desktop computer, but the TV-out on that one behaved exactly like the FX5200 in every directly observable way.
I still can't get it to have proper 25Hz refresh.

I did however find out why only the bobdeint filter results in a really smooth looking video. Despite my modeline which gives me perfect mapping between framebuffer lines and tv-out lines, I still get blending between the fields. Setting the environment variable NO_XV=1 revealed that XV is to blame. I got perfect "field separation" after that. I'm guessing the video overlay window is scaled somewhat. Luckilly I'm able to photograph the phenomenon using my digital camera set to 1/50th of a second, and really see if fields are blended or not, so I don't have to
rely on my eyes only.

OpenGL still ensures sync, but not using XV gives a performance penalty which leads to unacceptable skipping. I need to fix this video overlay scaling issue before the filter I wanted to make becomes useful. I also need to get MythTV to build, but that's another issue.

Is the snapshot in SVN more Fedora Core 4 friendly, or should I stay with the 0.81 source release?

I'm quoting myself alot here because I had a little accident with my system clock and my last mail was sent in october. As far as I can tell, xv scaling (which seems to involve some filtering no matter what I do) is really bad. It will blend even and odd lines quite a bit, and I don't know enough about v4l to do anything about it, or to know if that's at all possible.

I've createa a video clip with static with lines in odd and even fields I can use to detect blending between fields, and it clearly shows xv will blend even and odd lines. So much for interlaced playback. Turning off xv gives no blending, but horrible performance.

mplayer however has a video output mode called "gl", which uses opengl textures for playback. It doesn't appear to blend even and odd lines,
syncs perfectly to the refresh, and is very fast.

As I understand it, video overlay (Which I'm assuming is the culprit) is only one of the ways xv may accelerate playback. Is there a way of tricking mythtv to be more like "mplayer -vo gl" and less like "mplayer -vo xv"?

I've also created another videoclip using a non-realtime version of my filter, containing interlaced fields at 720x576 50fps where only one field is updated at each 50Hz refresh, and with it I do get perfect temporal and spatial resolution (when played with mplayer -vo gl) on my system. It plays with some frame drops, but I'm wagering a filter implementation will be less stressful than decoding a 720x576 50fps xvid stream.

--
bjornko