On Sun, December 4, 2005 9:29 pm, MythTV wrote:
> #741: Patch for naming videosources...
> --------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  jochen  |        Owner:  ijr
>      Type:  defect  |       Status:  reopened
> Component:  mythtv  |      Version:
>  Severity:  medium  |   Resolution:
> --------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
> Changes (by bjm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):
>
>   * resolution:  fixed =>
>   * milestone:  => 0.19
>   * status:  closed => reopened
>   * type:  enhancement => defect
>
> Comment:
>
>  This isn't going to work. Currently the dispaly shows cardid:inputname .
>  The ticket refers to "videosources" tho that's not what's in in the
> patch.
>
>  {{{
>  mysql> select cardinputid, cardid, inputname, videosource.name from
>  cardinput join videosource on cardinput.sourceid = videosource.sourceid
>  where cardid=2 or cardid=3 order by cardid;
>  +-------------+--------+------------+--------------+
>  | cardinputid | cardid | inputname  | name         |
>  +-------------+--------+------------+--------------+
>  |           2 |      2 | Television | CoxCableDD   |
>  |           7 |      2 | Composite1 | VCR          |
>  |           5 |      3 | S-Video 0  | CoxDigitalDD |
>  |           6 |      3 | Tuner 0    | CoxCableDD   |
>  +-------------+--------+------------+--------------+
>  4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>  }}}
>
>  A capturecard.displayname wouldn't distinguish card 2s "Television" or
>  "Composite1" input nor 3s "S-Video 0" or "Tuner 0" and none of it
> defines
>  if the source is "CoxCableDD", "CoxDigitalDD" or "VCR".
>
>  I could see using ca name for the card in place of the number but it
> still
>  has to say which input on the card. I could see using the
> videosource.name
>  in place of the inputname but there have to be two pieces of information
>  on the display; one to which card is active and one to say which set of
>  channels to expect.
>
>  Or, at the very least, put displayname in the card input table so the
> user
>  could name individual inputs.

that was my original reaction too. but then i thought about how i would
use it.

with 4 cards and the following lineup:

card 1 - tuner   - source 1
card 1 - s-video - source 2
card 2 - tuner   - source 1
card 3 - tuner   - source 1
card 3 - s-video - source 3
card 4 - tuner   - source 1
card 4 - s-video - source 3

what i really would want is to name sources and have a key to cycle
through them (plus the ability to order and define a priority). i really
don't care if i'm getting a program from source 3 on card 3 or card 4. i
do sort of care that i'm getting a program from source 1 on card 1; as
that removes the ability for someone else to watch a program from source 2
(of which i only have one source).

maybe this is way too complicated a scheme, but i'm sure that my setup is
by on means as complicated as some people on this list.

what do you think?
i know, send in the patch :-)
--
simon