I may be wrong, but it doesn't look (to me) like the difficult bit is with the physical recording infrastructure.

It's with the scheduler. Maybe I'm just not good enough at SQL, but I don't see an easy way to rewrite the big ugly query so it's aware of dtv_multiplex 'deeply' enough.

Agreed, but like with all things, fixup the recorder and someone else might come along and help out with the scheduler...

Actually I think it might be possible to fix this by adding a concept of "channel groups". Now you can assume that you have as many "recorders" as you have "channel groups", and suddenly we are back in business again

Ed W