So far it's been the gentoo and arch linux users who've had the mysql5
problem... probably because those distros have that in their main
package channel.

But I really have no idea how one would go about fixing the problem...
the log files are utterly unhelpful (works one minute, dies the next,
no message), as are the debugging programs.

Anyway, I've got a paradox happening on my system... on the one hand I
need mysql5 for rails and php. On the other, I need mysql4 for myth.
Oh crap.