Preston Crow wrote:

I have a 16:9 TV, so when watching a standard-definition letterboxed
show, I hit 'w' to zoom in and fill the screen.  Great feature!

I've noticed that some shows are in some in-between format, where they
have smaller black bars at the top and bottom.  I don't know the exact
aspect ratio, but it seems to be common on BBC America.  Having the zoom
feature for this aspect would be really nice.  (Is there a name for that
format?)

Oh, and a configuration setting to disable zoom modes that I don't use
would be nice.

I can write a patch if it's likely to be accepted and none of the other
developers wants to preempt me.
In case you haven't yet found it, until patched, you could use manual zoom.

Mike