I would just open the ssh port and access mythweb over ssh. No need to open a web server to the world if you don't have to.

Just my 2 cents.
At 06:09 PM 12/15/2004, you wrote:
Very interested to hear some knowledgable users comments on this.

I am behind a NAT router, have a dynamix IP but will use dynDNS, and I
have port 80 blocked by ISP.  I plan to open SSH and a port for HTTP
(1010 or 1080) so I can use MythWeb when out of the house.  I will
obvisouly change my crappy root password when I get to opening the
ports..

Cheers,
Whytey

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:16:14 -0500, Craig Partin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > After reading the post about the poor soul who's box was rooted, it > got me to worrying about my own. Right now I feel pretty safe with > the box behind a NAT hardware firewall. I do want to open some ports > for SSH and HTTP connections and wonder what security considerations I > might be missing. > > The myth user is logged in with sudo passwordless renice access. > Services are run as root and the frontend and X are setuid root. It's > a basic gentoo install with no additional security related tweaking. > openSSH, MySQL, and Apache2 are the only network daemons running. > > What security measures do others have in place? > > Thanks, > Craig > > > _______________________________________________ > mythtv-users mailing list > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users > > >