David Whyte wrote:
Very interested to hear some knowledgable users comments on this.

I am behind a NAT router, have a dynamix IP but will use dynDNS, and I
have port 80 blocked by ISP.  I plan to open SSH and a port for HTTP
(1010 or 1080) so I can use MythWeb when out of the house.  I will
obvisouly change my crappy root password when I get to opening the
ports..

Cheers,
Whytey

Hi, I have two different Fedora Core 2 systems connected to the internet full-time. I run logwatch and began noticing that my servers were both being scanned daily. It looked like they were using some sort of dictionary attack script, because I saw repeated login failures for common userid's, including root. Fortunately, I did not have a weak root password or my systems would have been hacked.

To thwart the attempts, I changed my sshd configuration to not allow ssh via passwords at all. To do so, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add the line "PasswordAuthentication no". Doing so will require that you access your system via ssh using public/private keys.

You can generate the public/private keys with openssh or puttygen, whichever you prefer.

Hope that helps.

--
jthomps