Paul Hamm wrote:
I am currently going through an OS upgrade cycle to FC3.  One of my
machines has a Chaintech 7nif2 igp system board 512mb XP 3200+.  This
machine has been my test box for mythtv.  I was planning to switch it
over to my primary work station and change my work station over to a
mythtv server.  After installing FC3 (everything) and running apt-get
dist-upgrade, install KDE 3.3, latest FC3 kernel, and nvidia drivers.  I
noticed something odd.  I usually run my workstation at 1280x1024.  The
machine with the 7nif2 has always been run at 1024x768.  Now I want it
to run at 1280x1024, it does so using the nv driver.  The problem is
that if I use the nvidia driver 6629 I only get 1024x768 on the display
with a virtual 1280x1024.  Is this a known issue or am I missing
something blindingly obvious?

IIRC 6629 fixes some bugs in the code that reads resolution information from the monitor. Try adding Option IgnoreEDID in the appropriate location (sorry, not in front of me).

You're lucky, though... 6629 is completely hosed for people with cards earlier than about an FX5200.

-Doug