I have more experience with disks as a result of the 300 or so I have in my clusters, rather than MythTV. I have seen many disks fail, but things seem to be improving. Most disks I find, if they are going to fail, fail in their first year. So multi year warranty is a must.

Any manufacturer can be bad, but disk from 2002 to early 2004 were probably the worst from many mfg. This is the period when the disk mfg reduced warranties for retail drives to 1 year.

Things seem to have improved. Seagate recently increased their warranty to up to 5 years on SATA drives. Some of the other mfg have followed suit.

My experience is that I have moved away from Maxtor and WD to seagate. Overall I am so far finding Seagate disks to be more reliable. I based this on experience, and the fact that seagate provides some of the best warranties out there. Warranties are a gamble on the par tof the mfg so they seem to be confident in their products. I also only use SATA which I have also found to be of superior reliabilty, although I have only deployed a dozen or so SATA disk.

My comment is you never know. Disks fail for a variety of reasons, and it is best to assume you will have a failure at some point.

To mitigate the risk I recommend either RAID1 or RAID5 software mirroring if you actually care about your data otherwise go with the disks with the best warranties. They may not last longer, but at least you can get them replaced. Also go with SATA if you can. SATA has some nice features that (if you have the right controller) can reduce some of the load situations that increase the wear and tear on your disk.

Terrence

Brian May wrote:

"Paul" == <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Paul> I just had my second Western Digital Special Edition 200 GB Paul> drive die on me. Since I'm using an ASUS Pundit, I figured Paul> heat was the culprit, so the second drive had a dual-fan Paul> cooler on it. No such luck. After about three months of Paul> use, performance suddenly degrades, and the journals begin Paul> to corrupt. A few days later, I/O errors crop up, and the Paul> drive is pretty much useless. Are these drives just not up Paul> to the stress of a PVR? I'm interested in hearing what kind Paul> of drives people have had good luck with, as I've about had Paul> it with these. I'll get my third on warranty, but It won't Paul> be going back into a myth box.

In the past I have had lots of problems with hard disks on my 24x7
Linux server. Hard disks (from all major brands) were dieing between 3
months and 13 months (one month after warranty).

I ended up paying more for 4 hard disks (WD) with 3 year warranty. The
hard disks in my Linux server are still working perfectly - I am a bit
suspicious of the hard disks in my mythtv system (once I tried to boot
up and one hard disk didn't come online - I took the computer apart,
pulled the IDE connector out, and put everything back together and it
suddenly started working again... However, I sometimes get bad looking
hard disk error messages on boot up when I look...)