You also might try applying this DTV-ringbuffer patch:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/101580

to the latest CVS.

John

Yan-Fa Li wrote:

Two problems appear obvious:

1. Your drive isn't quite set correctly, just mostly.

Try adding:

    hdparm -c3 /dev/hdb

You can also see if your chipset will tolerate

    hdparm -u1 /dev/hdb

Not all of them will so you'll have to experiment to see if it causes problems.

2. move drive to master on /dev/hdc

You want to move the drive off the same controller as /dev/hda. Slave drives have very poor performance on IDE. You want it to be either master on /dev/hdc or on a different PCI IDE card away from your DVD-ROM. I tend to share the DVD-ROM with the second drive because they are rarely active at the same time.

john roberts wrote:

I'm running a CVS build from mid-Dec and I've noticed that every 15 sec's on recorded content I get heavy pixel-ation (if that's a word).

For a while I thought it was due to a weak station - but it does this for all recordings. And the fact it does this EVERY 15 sec's makes me think there is something odd going on.

I was thinking it might be a DMA issue - but the drive seems to be set correctly:

htpc / # /sbin/hdparm -v /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 19929/255/63, sectors = 163928604672, start = 0

My setup:

- P4 3.2G
- Dec CVS build
- Gentoo