What version of MythTV are you using? 0.16 had a problem where if
mythfilldatabase was reading results from xml passed via a file or
pipe (e.g. if you're using tv_grab_dvb) rather than getting the data
directly it always returned an error code on completion, regardless of
the actual result.

This has been fixed in CVS for a while now, I don't remember the exact
date. If you're getting good guide data but always seeing the same
error code then this is probably what's going on. Either upgrade to
CVS to get the correct result status or just ignore it until 0.17
turns up, it's harmless.

Steve