Brad Templeton wrote:

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:11:22PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

It'd sure be nice if there was a way for a mythfrontend to discover all the settings needed on a network. Something like Rendevous/ZeroConf/UPnP. Does anyone who runs KnoppMyth in this way know what all the settings are that are asked for on boot? Is it just the address of the master backend or are there more?

Strictly, it's the address of the database server, which then reveals the address of the master backend and other backends.

Indeed, discovery and plug and play are very useful ideas, and no doubt
are on the feature list somewhere.

You can't really discover SQL servers without opening up their security
more than people like. So what would make sense would be for the
master backend to listen for broadcast packets on a port, and respond
to them with config info for frontends and other backends.

On my home network, behind firewalls, I have none of these security concerns. If it is just the address of the DB server, it shouldn't be hard to do Zeroconf or even a simple broadcast as you suggest. I'll have to put this on my list of things to do...

Kevin