Exact same symptoms here, on a gentoo system, 1.4ghz. I never used
edit more before so I don't know what it should do, but I figure
freezing up and ignoring keypresses isn't correct.

The weird background on the restart is very strange, usually when it
happens I can just hit "watch tv" and it fixes it. Except when I'm
recording something, then I just have to remember which buttons are
which to playback a recorded video to fix it.

 - Jeff

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:06:31 -0600, Rob Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm either confused or I'm locking up the front-end when trying to
> bring up the edit mode for a show I've recorded.
>
> 1) I've tried using the "i" button on the remote while watching the
> recorded show (maps to "i" on the keyboard, I believe). From there, I
> get an on-screen menu and choose "Edit Mode". Nothing happens - the
> live picture freezes and that's that. I figured that a P3 500MHz may
> need a little bit of time - so I gave it 5 or 10 minutes, but it
> doesn't appear to be coming back.
>
> I've also tried hitting "e" on the keyboard with the same effect.
>
> Ultimately, I just hit Ctrl+Shift+Backspace to restart X.
>
> 2) This leads to an observation - I think Myth needs to reinitialize
> the video screen when it starts. If I've had the problem described
> above and I restart X (which logs in the myth user and launches the
> frontend), the frontend comes up fine, but the background behind the
> text and images are pulled from the frozen frame of whatever TV show I
> was working with. The text isn't present (or isn't readable, or...).
> However, I do note that if I just go into Live TV and then exit, the
> background gets reset and everything is hunky-dory again.
>
> Any ideas (pointers to the wiki etc) are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites