On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:12:24PM -0500, Da Worm wrote:
> >It's literally as simple as
> >    cat /dev/video0 >file.mpg
>
> Yes, I mentioned that, but you can't watch it as it plays to see when to start
> and stop recording.

Actually, you can.  Of course if you know the length you can stop recording
after a fixed amount of time, and if you only approximately know the length
you can stop recording after some maximum time and then edit it to perfection
with a non-linear mpeg2 editor -- you almost surely want to do that here.

But once you have your cat going into the file, you can actually
run mplayer on the file.mpg above, and watch it, as far behind live
as you fired up the mplayer.   If you start later you can even seek
carefully to the end. (As yet, I believe, mplayer quits when it gets
to EOF even on a growing file, so you would have to take great care
in seeking.  I don't know about xine, perhaps it will do it.)

I suppose you could also do:

        ivtvctl -p 6  # sets to input 6 which is svideo in on my card

        tee </dev/video0 /tmp/file.mpg | mplayer -

This will watch the capture in real time and record it to the file.

You can interrupt it when you are done recording, though you still
probably wouldn't mind cleaning it up in your non-linear editor.

I love it when the solution comes from unix philosophy over 30 years
old!