Hi,

sorry if i sound like a schmoe...I have only been
looking at this for a week, but glad to contribute to
this effort from a newbie point of view.  I would also
like to add that in theory by capturing the HD signal
on the way to the TV after the set top box, one can
get unencrypted streams.  In order to tune the
channels one could use an IR blaster or a serial cable
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.24).
 Comments/Addition Inline:

> Subject: HDTV, Myth, and you...
>
> Hardware:
> -- Do the HD-2000 work better, or are better
> supported than the HD-3000 cards?
> -- Are there any other cards which do OTA ATSC HD
> recordings?

Someone recently claimed that the Air2PC
(http://www.cyberestore.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=103)
card works with MythTv via the DVB interface
(http://www.digitalregime.com/mythdvb/).  The downside
of this card (from the above referenced site for the
card) is that it seems to only have a coax input and
makes no mention of the broadcast flag/QAM
support/encoding methodology.

> -- Which cards only work for DVB? Which only for
> OTA?
Perhaps a clarification between DVB-C, DBV-S, and
DVB-T should be made.  Or better yet a reference to
http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=9 if it is still
relevant.

> -- Which cards work with encrypted sources?
>
> Playback:
> -- How much CPU power is required to playback 1080i
> or 720p streams?
> -- Are most converting down to 540p for playback?
> What steps are
> involved in doing that?
>
> OS:
> -- What Kernel, IVTV/V4L/  are recommended for:
>     -- HD-2000
>     -- HD-3000
>
> >From what I can glean, best way to succeed is to
> install the HD card
> into a different backend (if you already have a
> backend with PVR-XXX's
> in them) run a 2.6 kernel, and patch patch patch.
>
> Thanks to all in advance for any contributions to
> this information..

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.

-Ghandi

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

-William of Occam