The one issue I have with this approach is that I have to randomly name the
iso file for it to be unique, whereas the DVDbackup approach allows me
access to the disc title for the iso filename.

Unless there's an undocumented lsdvd -t switch to return only the title, I'd
probably have to write something to parse the default output or perl output
to get at the title.

And after some quick, rough (and highly inaccurate) mental timings
(basically guesses and looking at the clock) I'd say it's only saving a
minute or three.

At this point, I think I'd rather have the disc title as the filename than
save a few minutes, so it's easily recognizable from, say, a Windows box
share without access to the database.

For those however, who are interested in saving the few minutes and don't
care about the filename, you can modify the dvd2iso script I previously
posted.

I only have one optical drive in my system, so I simply modified my dvd2iso
script and replaced the dvdbackup and mkisofs commands with (roughly)

lsdvd
dd if=$dvddevice of=/myth/video/video_$RANDOM.iso

Obviously, if you have more than one drive, you'll want to be more specific
to lsdvd :

lsdvd $dvddevice

If anyone knows of a quick and easy way to get at the disc title in an easy
manner, I'm all ears :-)

To fit in easily in this script, something like below would be ideal:

$dvdname=`lsdvd -t`

(Note the -t switch is hypothetical.  I suppose I could find the source for
lsdvd and recompile ... but all that seems like a hassle for a few minutes
worth of time saving.  Besides, it's not like I'm sitting there staring at
the DVD drive waiting for it to eject when it's done.)

Thanks again for everyone's input.