After some more reading on the web I got xvid to produce a file that the Philips can play. I had to turn off packed, B Frames, and added an "export_par 1" parameter to transcode.

do you have a commandline with that b frames stuff in it?

I wanted to try and do a divx encode but it is broken in transcode. I also tried FFMpeg to create a MPEG4 stream, which played but had some A/V sync problems.

Yeah, that's why the divx module uses ffmpeg. so did you have sync problems on the dvd player, or in general with the avi?

-Chris