Paul Gratz wrote:

Hmmm, OK now I'm a bit better off on the dark scenes. I set it to record
by default as:
320x256 mpeg4, bitrate = 2200 (scaled from 640x480)

with the interlaced and high performance settings turned on (I've got a
1.6 P4 so I figure I have the processor to burn).

I've noticed a few things from these settings and from watching this
discussion. First of all while the dark scenes are definitely better I
notice that when the scene is moving fast I now get interlaced type
lines showing up. Am I correct in assuming then that I should not be
selecting interlaced because my card is only able to capture at 240
lines so its actually only capturing every other line anyways?
Incidentally my card is a bt878 variant I believe (I may upgrade to a
PVR250 at some point but not right now).

Is there any point for me to do a higher resolution on this card?

I think the ideal resolution was more like 352x480 or something along those lines based on previous posts to the list. I think anything above that and you're just wasting space and processing power. What I did is work from that resolution and bump up the bitrates (not scaled from 640x480, FYI) until I got one that was a good combination of space and quality.

Kevin