FWIW, my experince has been the opposite -- particularly, attempting
to skip forward repeatly through a recording with ivtv
0.1.10pre2-ck100z caused the machine to lock.  ivtv 0.2.0rc3d seems to
be mostly working OK for me right now.. (having some framedrop issues
with my secondary card..need to find out what is causing that)

And I don't think closed captioning works properly in any release yet
-- in 0.1.10-pre2-ck100z it nearly works.. don't think it has gotten
any better since.

If you want to have a go at it, there is information on what magic
incantations are required to activate it:
http://205.209.168.201/~ckennedy/ivtv/OLD_good-ones/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/doc/README.vbi

--
Ian Trider
[EMAIL PROTECTED]