I was just looking at this device ...
http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/sysreq/API555req.asp?pid=API-555
It looks like it more or less converts component into FireWire (can do
more than that though).  Drawbacks being it only takes stereo audio,
but can get around that by capturing off a soundcard that supports
digital input...  Also, i'd need to hack MythTV to support raw 1394,
instead of MPEG2 compressed streams, but that shouldn't be much work,
just means the CPU requirements will shoot through the roof.
(Also, I can't tell, it's possible that it might downgrade the
video to 420p, which would not be very good, but still better than
most other solutions for the price :/ ~$180.00 @ CDW)

-Brad