Shawn Willden wrote:

So, I'm looking for a good solution to easily ripping and transcoding movies, then putting them in a nice, browseable repository so the kids can easily pull up what they want to watch without having to touch the disks. Can I use MythTV for that? I like the fact that it also has the other modules (web, weather, VOIP (gotta try that one -- I use Vonage), and others), and the simple UI will allow me to use the TV as the display, rather than having to hook up some other monitor.

yup.. can do that easily.. remember yer gonna need a *huge* amount of disk space for that kinda sized library

Also, by way of a test, I ripped and transcoded one movie using MythTV (went very smoothly) but I can't figure out how to *watch* it through tht MythTV front end. It looks like it should show up in the media library under videos, but doesn't. The AVI file is in /var/lib/mythvideo, and I can play it from there with xine or whatever. Do I need to do something to get the ripped videos to show up?

after you've ripped a film - in mythfrontend - go into Setup / Video Manager .. this will scan the directory for any new films and allow you to do certain things - like imdb lookups etc. it then adds them into the database and will appear in your "Watch Videos"

Finally, I see that MythTV can be configured on multiple boxes somehow. Am I right in thinking that I can have one machine set up to run the TV display and another set up as the ripper/transcoder? dvdrip makes it pretty easy to distribute transcoding effort, as well. Has anyone done this with MythTV?

yup.. if all the machines are running nfs/smb etc.. you can have your central file server share its video directory.. then mount them on the frontends and save the dvdrip's over the network (then see previous note)

hth

Craig