On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:19:01PM -0700, Blair wrote:
> FYI: nVidia 6600GT
>
> I picked up a 6600GT myself.  Primary reasoning was to get the COMPONENT
> output to drive my older HDTV without the need to purchase an external scan
> converter.  Cost of the alternative configuration was close enough that it
> was worth it to me.  HDTV Processing is not a significant improvement
> however, over my 5700, but with the COMPONENT out, there are way fewer motion
> compensation artifacts.

So this is with XvMC?  (Unless I have misunderstood something, regular
xv based output would not differ in the artifacts from card to card)

Component out is of course a plus (at the cost of a fan) -- but did you
save money?   The cheapest form of this card I see with component out
is in the $185 range.   An MX440 card is only about $35 and you can
get the audio authority component converter for $100 or so on eBay, though
it is nicer to get it all in one.

Of course, some day DVI will work and we'll have all-digital direct
output from card to TV, for those who have dvi/hdmi.