On Tuesday 15 February 2005 05:01 am, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

> >>    So a P3 is capable of doing HD if you're using XvMC?  I thought
> >> that even with XvMC it took a beefy machine.  How fast of a P3 are you
> >> using?  How much of an (NVidia) card is needed to make XvMC go
> >> reasonably?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Cory
> >
> > I run a P3-1400 Tulatin (slightly more cache than normal).  The machine
> > has 4 tuner cards, 3-PVR250's and 1 Air2pc.  768MB ram, Nvidia 5600,
> > 4 SCSI (10K, 80MB/sec) disks in software raid 0.  It is able to record
> > all 4 streams and play the HD stream at the same time (frontend/backend).
> > CPU load runs about 70-80%.  In general, it will not skip frames, but its
> > not out of the question.  Any fast forward or something will cause about
> > 5 seconds of frame skipping while it catches up on its cache.
>
>       OK... that's one rippin' P3 system.  I've got a dual 933 PII that
> I was maybe hoping to use with HD.  Just out of curiosity, how much (%cpu)
> is used for:
> backend
> frontend
>
> .... that determines how well dual CPU will help.  My experience has been
> pretty good with mythtv on duals.  I used an old BP6 (Dual celeron
> 300->450) with a software card that was useable at 352x480 capture size.
> The capture (mythbackend) itself took 95% of one cpu, but playback was
> split between frontend and X and only burned up about 60% of the other.
>
> -Cory

Watching / recording NCIS tonight (HD) while recording 3 other pvr250 shows
the frontend ran 75-80%, backend 5-8%, X-2%.  Xosview shows total CPU
80-85% with some spikes above.  Wish I could be more encouraging for
your machine.  There maybe some threads in the frontend that can help
out more.  But the machine is certainly getting a workout.

Keep in mind tho, you can beef up some P3's.  This machine is a
IBM Intellistation that only shipped a max 1000Mhz (slot1) from
the factory, I added the Tulatin just last year.

Brian