On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:41:09AM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > into a smarter transcoder, which would have a set of profiles, and some
> > simple rules for which one to pick.   One simple idea is a set of rules
> > of the form, "Program >= X lines -> Use transcoding profile Y"
>
> I agree, this logic or something like it would be nice in the future.

Actually, as long as it's possible to create several transcode profiles
one could just have the transcoder pick the profile which is closest
in size without going over, or somesuch.

> Myth's builtin transcoder only does single-pass.

Is it VBR then?

> Scheduling jobs may come in the future but I haven't thought about
> that much, but it would be fairly easy to implement.  A job could have
> a specified starttime where it wouldn't start before that.  When recordings
> are deleted, all running and pending jobs are deleted so if there was a
> queued job for 3 days from now, it would be deleted if the show was
> deleted before that.  This would be another way of allowing jobs to be
> run only at night or while everyone was off at work.

I don't think of this as scheduling jobs so much as "Do this at any
convenient time, but not before time X" (or more simply, not before
a certain age)   There are a few other things you might do on this
formula, such as turning on autoexpire.

If transcode didn't take so long, the ideal arrangement for delayed
transcode would be to predict disk space requirements, and instead
of deleting shows, transcode the night before to clear enough space
for the rest of the day.    Of course if new programs are requested
you would still run out and have to expire.

With HD, though, we now see two purposes in transcode.   The traditional
one, to save space, and a new one, to scale down for easier playback.