On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:49:13 -0700, Blammo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It appears to be, that the ringbuffer for "livetv" is local to the
> backend process with the capture card, and that whether or not the
> frontend has access to the mounted ringbuffer, IE:
>
> backend1: 192.168.10.10
> ringbuffer === /livetv
>
> frontend1: 192.168.10.11
> ringbuffer == 192.168.2.10:/livetv
>
> it always streams it via rbuf:// URI and never checks for the local
> existance of it, in spite of what the mythtvsetup value is for the
> local machine.
>
> Is this correct? Is this more efficent than reading off a local
> ringbuffer anyway?

Re-reading it, that question was a little convuluted. Let me ask another way.

Is there any way to force a local ringbuffer on a frontend? For
example, watching LiveTV on an HD source fed off the backend, watching
on a frontend. Pause for a bit, then try to FF/REW. You'll see 100M
ethernet (between frontend/backend) saturate as you creep along.
Anything above 5x is pretty much pointless.  Has me thinking about
gigabit between front and back.

However, if I could force the backend to ringbuffer on, say, an NFS
share off the frontend, then the frontend could use local disk to
FF/REW which would be a lot faster.

Thoughts?