From: Joe Votour [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:52 AM
To: Greg Nicholson; mythtv-users@mythtv.org
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] xbox Mythtv & twinhan or Haupage remote?

Greg,

I'm copying the MythTV users list, just for the
benefit of anybody else who might be following this
discussion.

First of all, I'm not an expert on remote controls or
IR, but I have managed to gain a lot of information
from studying the list (and a person named Harry O.,
who provided most of this information).

For every type of signal encoding, there is a maximum
set of valid combinations that can be done, this will
vary from protocol to protocol.  Not all receivers
have to accept the entire signal set, but many seem
to.

Unfortunately, I don't have any documentation specific
to the XBox, as I'm not using it as a frontend
anymore, but for the general idea of how to program
the All-In-One URC-6131 remote, look at my website,
the page titled, "Using an One For All URC-6131 Remote
with a Hauppauge IR Receiver" (URL:
http://www.vulturesnest.net/mythtvremote.html).  At
that page is a set of instructions for mapping
extended button codes to the buttons that aren't
necessarily mapped by default in RC-5 mode (the
protocol that the Hauppauge receiver uses).  Using
this procedure, I have 48 buttons, all of which are
recognizable with lirc (verified using irw) as unique
buttons, working with MythTV and Xine, on my XBox.

It is a very similar procedure for the XBox.  Get a
universal remote control that supports the XBox
protocol (which is a DVD player of some sort, maybe
Panasonic?), that allows for the buttons to be
reprogrammed (much like the URC-6131).  From there,
once you determine the unprogrammed buttons, you can
look through the extended codes, find ones that you
aren't using on other buttons, and map them to the
unmapped buttons.

A listing of the extended codes for the XBox remote
(DVD player, type 0059) control can be found here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?DVD_0059

Not all of those buttons are used by the XBox remote,
for instance, Antenna and Clear.  You can map those
codes to buttons on a remote, and the XBox receiver
will accept them and pass them on to lirc.

Here's an example of the unprogrammed buttons in DVD
0059 mode on my URC-6131 remote control, the extended
button codes I assigned to them, and the lirc codes
(which may not work for you, I can't say for sure)
that detect them:
Button  lircd code      Ext. Code       Ext. Button Name
VOL+    55aaa5          480             3-D
VOL-    505afa          234             Antenna
Mute    5e5a1a          485             Channel Cont
Prev    506af9          258             Clear
SLOW    53aac5          483             DVD
PIP     593a6c          406             Fetch
Swap    5c6a39          252             Frame
Move    51aae5          738             Guide
CH+     550aaf          400             Marker
CH-     51bae4          474             PIP
REPLAY  53bac4          731             Power Off
SKIP    5c6a39          252             Previous Frame
PVRMenu 594a6b          622             Repeat
ThUp    512aed          418             Reset
ThDown  518ae7          466             Setup

(In case you're wondering how I came up with the lirc
values, I kind of took a scattergun approach - I just
created an lircd.conf with every plausible value and
noted which one came up when I pressed the buttons
while running irw).

I apologize that this isn't a complete step-by-step
guide, complete with an lircd.conf file, but I don't
have those available at the moment.  This should be
enough information to get you going though.

Unfortunately, it takes trial and error, but it's not
really difficult.

-- Joe

--- Greg Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm counting 27 buttons on the original Xbox remote,
> all of which are
> working well.  By your message, you are counting
> above that number.  Have
> you found codes that are in addition to the 27 on
> the Xbox remote, and if
> so, can you elaborate/post/email those codes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Nicholson

5Ftest=1&catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=&product_id=15-2116