Check to make sure that the directory you put your lircrc file in is
actually in the directory for your mythtv user and not root.  i.e. If
your non-root account is called "mythuser", then make sure that it's
in /home/mythuser/.mythtv/lircrc  and also make sure that you are
launching mythfrontend as mythuser and not as root.  Launching as
root, or having the lircrc file in the a directory only root has
access to would cause this problem.