What I am wanting to do seems simple to me, but I don’t know much about homemade PVR’s, so it could be quite difficult. First, I’ll build a little computer in one of those cool cube cases (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-146&depa=1) and stick Gentoo or Debian on it. I’ll stick some kind of TV tuner card in it, and plug it into CATV. I want to be able to record shows on TV at any time and have some kind of remote interface to control it by. I would be happiest with a pretty little web-interface, but SSH-ing into the box and setting up /etc/crontab with vi manually wouldn’t be the end of the world. The box needs to operate totally headless, only CATV, network and power going into it. I want to be able to stream the recorded shows off that box from any [windows/linux/mac] system on my network.

Next, I want to be able to watch live TV (when not recording something) across the network.

Now, from what I’ve gathered, this MAY be possible with MythTV. If it is, does anyone have any hardware recommendations for the setup, specifically the capture card?

Thanks,

Chris Miller